About the Drive
Food for Freedom is a world record food drive extravaganza occuring next Memorial Day weekend: Saturday, May 25 to Sunday, May 26, 2013 at Fond du Lac High School, 801 Campus Drive in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Food for Freedom is not an ordinary food drive because Fond du Lac County and four other counties around Fond du Lac will attempt to break the world record for the largest food drive in 24 hours at a single location. The current record is 559,885 pounds of food!
Collecting food is not the only goal in mind at this food drive; Food for Freedom will foster activities for families, a patriotic ceremony both mornings of the drive, and a celebration towards the veterans and service men and women of our country. Although the number one goal is to provide substantial amounts of food to our local food pantries, we also hope to deliver an unforgettably patriotic and family fun extravaganza for all our citizens to enjoy. The last eight hours of the food collection will be especially exciting because we will be inviting a World Record Adjudicator to overlook our record attempt and verify immediately afterwards our success or our failure of the record attempt.
After the collection is achieved, the food distribution process will begin by delivering specific portions of the food to six area food pantries: the Fondy Food Pantry, the Ripon Community Food Pantry, the Oshkosh Area Food Pantry, St. Joe's Food Pantry (Appleton), Paul's Pantry (Green Bay), and the Sheboygan County Food Bank. Less fortunate people from five counties in Wisconsin will receive food from Food for Freedom.
Food for Freedom is a very exciting event that has the potential to raise food for those less fortunate in our communities. Often times, we take for granted the common items that we have such as food, cothing, and technology, however, now is the time to give. Many people ask why this food drive is different from any other food drive. The answer is simply that Food for Freedom is an event that will be a part of Fond du Lac's and Wisconsin's history for long after we break, or do not break, the record. Either way we are still helping and feeding our own people, which is the true definition of the word: community.
How Much is 559,885 Pounds of Food?
What does the amount 559,885 pounds mean to you?
- If everybody in Fond du Lac County donated 5.5 pounds of food, we would raise 561,434.5 pounds.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, all 82,000 people in Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Winnebago, Outagamie, and Brown Counties living in poverty would receive 6.8 pounds.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, all 9,766 children under five living in poverty in those counties would receive 57.3 pounds.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, all 26,436 kids under eighteen living poverty in those counties would receive 57.3 pounds.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, one pound could be given to each person living in Wyoming, approximately.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, one pound could be given to each person living in Albuquerque, New Mexico, approximatley.
- If we raised 559,885 pounds of food, one pound could be given to each person living in Orlando, Florida and St. Louis, Missouri, approximately.
- 559,885 pounds of food is a spectacular amount. It could feed many people that are less fortunate in our communities. With the help of many people we can raise 559,885 pounds.
It is Possible.